Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hoi An

We made it to Hoi An. What a journey. Up at 4 a.m. for a 5 a.m. cab ride to the airport - kind of scary as we had a real creepy taxi driver. Anyway - got on the plane without any hassles at all and did the hour flight to Hue. Our hotel driver was waiting for us in a new mercedes car!!! Imagine our surprise. BUT - imagine the surprise we he told us it was a three hour ride to the hotel! Yeah!
We passed through DaNang and then over a mountain pass where the old border between north and south Vietnam was. We saw some old war relics and also stopped along the way and took a ton of pictures. Then we finished the trek into Hoi An to the hotel. Very nice place. Right on the ocean.
None of the bars or restaurants here have a.c. - so we are hot, hot, hot. The hotel lobby does not even have a.c. I think we are getting used to that as well because it does not seem nearly as bad as it was early on in the trip.
I refected today on what I can remember of history and the importance DaNang played in the war. It was surprising to me to see some of the old war relics and how old they appeared to me. That must mean I am a relic too! The property we are staying at is right on China Beach. I recall seeing stories on the news on China Beach and of course remember the old TV series that was set there.
This are is really undergoing a major transformation as there are new resorts going up all along the drive from DaNang to Hoi An. I wonder how that too will change what this place becomes in the future.
I know that when I return home that I am going to the library to get some history books some I can read even more about this wonderful country.

1 comment:

KJ said...

Kaye! I just read your blog posts over my morning cup of coffee! I am so excited for you... wish I could go on this trip once it is all up and running.
Jamaica misses you..I am sure you could use a dip in the ocean after your 'sweatful' days! Things are going well here - busy at the schools, with Peter from Rockhouse, and watching Chippewa - I think I am getting too used to being here - becoming more like home!

You sound like you are seeing so much during your stay! How long are you there for? Keep up with your posts - I love reading them!

Miss you! Travel safe!